Dr Alla Detinko
School of Computer Science
I am a Marie Curie Fellow in the School of Computer Science,
University of St Andrews. This position is funded by a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship grant under Horizon
2020 (EU Framework Programme for Research and
My work deals with
algebra at the interface with computer science. My main results are in
computational group theory (design, analysis, and implementation of algorithms
for computing with groups and related algebraic structures), linear groups, and
subgroups of algebraic groups.
Currently my focus is
development of a frontier domain of computational algebra: computing with
groups given by a finite set of matrices over an infinite field. The algorithms
which I have designed with my coauthors are implemented in the main computer
algebra systems, providing the first-ever practical software for computing in
this class of groups, and enabling completely new opportunities for
Information about my previous research activities
including conferences which I co-organized could be found here.
Book: Probabilistic Group Theory,
Combinatorics, and Computing, Lectures from the Fifth de Brún
Workshop, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Vol. 2070, Springer, 2013, 114 pp. (eds:
with D. Flannery, E. O'Brien)
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery, A. Hulpke
Zariski density and computing in arithmetic groups, Mathematics of Computation; see here.
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery Recent advances in
computing with infinite linear groups, Oberwolfach Reports,
37/2016, 14–17; see also here.
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery L.G. Kovács and linear groups, Journal
of the Australian Mathematical Society, 1 (2016) 1–8.
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery, A. Hulpke Algorithms for
arithmetic groups with the congruence subgroup property, Journal of Algebra, 421 (2015) 234–259.
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery, W. de Graaf Integrality and
arithmeticity of solvable linear groups, Journal of Symbolic Computation, 68(2015)138–145.
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery, E. O’Brien Algorithms for
linear groups of finite rank, Journal of Algebra, 393 (2013), 187–196.
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery, E. O’Brien Recognition of
finite matrix groups over infinite fields, Journal of Symbolic Computation, 50 (2013), 100–109.
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery, Computing
with matrix groups over infinite fields, Oberwolfach
Reports, Volume 8, Issue 3, 2011, 2118 – 2121.
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery, E. O’Brien Algorithms for
the Tits alternative and related problems, Journal of Algebra, 344 (2011) 397–406.
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery, B. Eick Computing with
matrix groups over infinite fields, London Mathematical Society Lecture
Note Series, LMS Lecture Note Series, 387 (2011) 256-270.
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery, E. O’Brien Deciding
finiteness of matrix groups in positive characteristic, Journal of Algebra, 322 (2009), no. 11, 4151-4160.
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery On deciding finiteness of
matrix groups, Journal of Symbolic Computation, 44 (2009), no.1,
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery Periodic subgroups of
projective linear groups in positive characteristic, Central European Journal of Mathematics, 6 (2008), no.
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery Algorithms for computing
with nilpotent matrix groups over infinite domains, Journal of Symbolic Computation, 43 (2008), no. 1,
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery Computing in nilpotent
matrix groups, LMS Journal of Computation and Mathematics, 9 (2006),
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery Locally nilpotent linear
groups, Irish Mathematical Society Bulletin, 56 (2005), 37–51.
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery Nilpotent primitive linear
groups over finite fields, Comm. Algebra 33 (2005), 497-505.
- A. Detinko, D. Flannery Classification of nilpotent
primitive linear groups over finite fields, Glasgow Mathematical Journal 46
(2004), 3, 585-594.
- A. Detinko A new GAP group library for irreducible
maximal solvable subgroups of prime degree classical groups, J. Math.Sci. (New York), 108
(2002), no.6, 942-950.
- A. Detinko On deciding finiteness for matrix groups
over fields of positive characteristic, LMS Journal
of Computation and Mathematics, 4 (2001), 64-72.
(see other publications here )
- Matrix groups over infinite fields, Magma package, 2009
(with D. Flannery, E.O’Brien)
- GAP 4 package Nilmat (with B.
Eick, D. Flannery) here.
- Computer group library for solvable matrix groups here.
- Computational Group Theory, 2016 (Oberwolfach, Germany).
- Algorithms for Linear Groups, 2014 (Banff International Research Station, Canada); (video).
- Groups, Computation and Geometries, 2014 (Colorado State University, USA).
- Groups St Andrews 2013 (University of St Andrews, Scotland); (more…).
- Questions, Algorithms, and Computations in Abstract
Group Theory, 2013 (TU Braunschweig, Germany).
- Computational Group Theory, 2011 (Oberwolfach, Germany).
Groups, Algorithms, and Complexity, 2010 (The Ohio State University, USA), (more...).
- Groups St Andrews 2009, (University of Bath, UK).
- The 11th Rhine Workshop on Computer Algebra, 2008 (Levico Terme,
- Nikolaus Conference 2006, (RWTH, Aachen, Germany).
slides of my talks
- Linear groups and computation, RWTH,
Aachen, 25 May, 2016 here.
- Computing with infinite linear groups:
recent advances and open problems, MFO, Oberwolfach,
Germany, 2 August 2016 here.
Third de Brún Workshop
on Computational Algebra here.
International Conference on Design Theory and
The 5th de Brún
have been awarded research grants by various bodies (apart from Horizon 2020,
these include Science Foundation Ireland, Enterprise Ireland, DAAD etc). I
also participated as a co-Principal Investigator or Collaborator in many
international funded research projects (some of these projects joint with
my collaborator Dane Flannery ). More details..
- I am a regular reviewer for Mathematical
Review (see my reviews here). Also I am a member of the American Mathematical Society.